Thursday 17 September 2015

Careful what you wish for

I like heavy weather. But since trading up from an Enterprise dinghy on a lake to a Westerly Griffon on the Bristol Channel, I've learnt to be very, very careful what I wish for, and to enjoy those peaceful, tranquil days when you just get to drift with the tide with only enough pressure in the sails to keep you directionally stable.

Dad and I are off to the boat tomorrow, heading down channel, no ties, strings or commitments other than the promise to be back to Portishead on Monday. It will be good to get afloat and away, and a bit of light weather wouldn't be totally unwelcome.

But this is a bit silly:


From what I can tell, the wind is expected to drop pretty much as we cast off, circle listlessly for the weekend, and then only fill in again once we moor back up alongside in Portishead on Monday.

It's fine. I don't really mind. The important thing is to get away, and whilst I'm not hugely keen on using the engine to get places, it's not a bad little engine, and relatively unimposing when it's just pushing you gently along.

I just don't like the disconnect it creates once your main propulsion isn't coming from the sails. I like to feel the wind, I like to know what its doing, and I find I lose that the second the engine starts. On the other hand, if there isn't any wind to feel anyway .....

We were originally thinking of heading out and back to Ilfracombe or Swansea via Cardiff or Barry. Looking at the weather, I think we'll revise plans; Friday night Cardiff, then over to Watchet for Saturday, back to Cardiff for Sunday then home to Portishead on Monday.

Fewer miles, but a new harbour we've not visited before, and if we're going to be forced to motor Saturday and Sunday, I won't begrudge the shorter journey.


No comments: